Friday, November 9, 2007

The Insignificant, Cheap Flash Mod


While browsing the strobist discussion group on Flickr the other day, I ran across a post detailing a velcro strap that a company was selling for $10 each. I knew I had seen them some where before, but for much less money and then it hit me, the velcro straps we use at work to bundle network cables and cables that clutter people's work areas up. So here's my take on it.

Ok, this is real complicated. Get out your paper and pencil and prepare to write a diagram. First you cut a strap of velcro the appropriate length to securely fasten around the head of your flash. Next, you wrap it around the head of the flash and fasten it. Got that? Good. We're done here.

My flash is one of the Vivitar 285HV variety. It has a rather large lip around the flash head. I do for see a possible problem with other flashes if the velcro isn't strapped tightly. Since there's no adhesive backing, it looks like it may slide off if a person isn't careful with it. I believe that the velcro I used it 3/4 of an inch, so it fits on the Vivitar perfectly.

Now all I have to do is attach velcro to the gels so I can use them.

1 comment:

Davin said...

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100503&navAction=jump&navCount=0&id=prod17137

Go there, walmart, cvs, probably even home depot, lowes, etc, and just pick up a pack of 18inch velcro for like 3 or 4 bucks.